Home Improvements

Home improvements are an essential part of homeownership and we understand that those necessary updates can be a daunting task. The below information can help you get started.

Finding and Hiring a Contractor

Helpful links for finding a contractor, architect or surveyor

Resources for licensing look-up

Visit the Attorney General’s Office for additional information on how to hire residential contractors, recommended contract information, manufactured homes, and where to go to check for licensing requirements.  

Do-It-Yourself Updates

Homeowner Building Workshops

We offer workshops in the spring and fall with tips, tricks and information to help set expectations on home renovation projects. Topics include:

  • Home remodels, basement finishes, windows and insulation
  • Basic plumbing, electrical, HVAC and building code requirements
  • Overview of Burnsville permit requirements and online applications

Our experts will be available to answer questions about your specific projects. Those who attend are eligible for a $25 discount on their next building permit. Watch for information on upcoming workshops on the City’s event calendar.

Raingardens and Landscaping

Landscaping for Clean Water workshops provide residents the opportunity to learn more about native plantings which are a low maintenance landscaping option. The Neighborhood Water Resources Grant provides funding opportunities for landscaping projects that benefit local water quality, which includes raingardens, shorelines restorations and native plantings.

Permits and Requirements

Whether hiring help or doing it yourself, some projects do require a building permit. Our online permit portal makes applying easy and convenient.  

Wondering if your project needs a permit? Common residential building permits involve anything mechanical, plumbing, water/sewer related or electrical; changes in existing structure, new construction or additions; and changes involving exterior doors, decks, garage doors, fences, windows and fireplaces; to name a few.

View are comprehensive list of both residential and commercial permit requirements.

Questions? We're happy to help. Give us a call at 952-895-4444.

Financial Help and Resources

We have a number of programs available to help plan and fund your home improvement project. 

Check out our HomeWorks resource page to get started!

Additional Resources

  • Manufactured Homes often have different requirements
  • Financing for Homeowner Associations
    • A housing improvement area (HIA) is a defined area in a city in which housing improvements in condominium or townhome complexes may be financed with the assistance of the city, or the city's economic development authority (EDA) or housing and redevelopment authority (HRA). Want to see if your association qualifies? Reach out to Regina Dean at 952-895-4453.