Make a Difference with Burnsville Fire
Serving with dedication, honor and integrity
Firefighter/Paramedic Job Openings
We invest in you so you can best serve our community.
We understand that our employees thrive when there is a commitment to personal and professional growth and offer opportunities to do so. Burnsville University is our unique strengths-based employee development program which offers a wide variety of classes on leadership development, professional growth, health and safety, organizational learning, inclusion and belonging and employee wellbeing.
The Role of a Career Firefighter/Paramedic
Unique to the industry, our department takes savings lives to a new level. This crucial role offers our community life-saving personnel to not only fight fires, but also respond to medical emergencies. In many cases, this goes hand-in-hand.
- Current with National Registry Certification as a paramedic
- Current with Minnesota or IFSAC Accredited Firefighter II Certification
- Certified or eligible for certification as a paramedic in Minnesota
- Have a valid Minnesota Driver's License or be eligible to be licensed in the State of Minnesota.
- Have successfully completed a Hazardous Materials Responder - Operational Level Class such as NIMS IS 100, 200, 700.
Interview and Examinations
- Application Process
- Written Exam
- Interviews/EMS Skills
- Physical Agility -- [Video] Watch one of our firefighter/paramedics in action
- Background, Psychological and Medical Background
Preparing New Team Members Ready to Serve
Welcome! We're glad your here. Your first six weeks will include a review of basic firefighter skills, including hands on, classroom and live fire training.
In the second phase, new employees work on shift with a Field Training Officer (FTO) and complete further firefighter training evolutions, equivalent to Firefighter II, and an evaluation of paramedic skills. This phase is generally 12 weeks long.