Disposal of Buckthorn
One of the most challenging parts of removing buckthorn is figuring out how to get rid of it. Since brush piles constitute a City code violation, it has to go somewhere.
- Apply for the City’s neighborhood or large lot pickup program. An application must be submitted by the program deadline. See the program requirements and schedule.
- Contact your trash hauler to see if you can set up a onetime brush pick-up (additional fee will apply).
- Hire a tree service company to chip up brush and dispose of it.
- Bring brush to the city compost site when it has been opened for public drop-off (see below to check available dates).
- Haul to a private compost facility. See a list of Dakota County yard waste collection facilities.
City Compost Site
The City compost pile will be open for public buckthorn brush drop-off during the last weekend of the month in June through September AND every weekend in October.
- Free of charge
- Burnsville residents only
- Drop off between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- ONLY buckthorn brush will be accepted.
The dates the compost pile will be open for free buckthorn brush drop-off in 2022 are:
- Saturday, June 25 and Sunday, June 26
- Saturday, July 30 and Sunday, July 31
- Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28
- Saturday, Sept. 24 and Sunday Sept. 25
- Saturday, Oct. 1 and Sunday Oct. 2
- Saturday, Oct. 8 and Sunday, Oct. 9
- Saturday, Oct. 15 and Sunday, Oct. 16
- Saturday, Oct. 22 and Sunday, Oct. 23
- Saturday, Oct. 29 and Sunday, Oct. 30
The compost pile is located directly behind Dodge of Burnsville on Pleasant Avenue. Click HERE to see a google map of the compost pile location. The compost facility is locked and closed to the public except on the dates listed above.
The information provided in the links below will walk you through identifying, removing, treating with herbicide and what to do when buckthorn is gone. Want a shortened version? View a two page identification and control guide (PDF).
Still have questions? Contact the City Natural Resources Department at 952-895-4543 or email.